Ananthoo's updates

When all trees have been cut down, when all animals have been hunted, when all waters are polluted, when all air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money. - Cree Prophecy

Monday, August 18, 2008

Masanobu Fukuoka RIP

The most popular farmer- philosopher and the father of organic/ natural farming passed away last Saturday. He was 95 years old when he died at his now-famous Ehime Prefecture at Iyo.
Thats a very sad death for the farmers around the world, but lets cherish his findings and advises and hope the world walks in to a better era. If only his way of ' no human intervention' in farming were to be followed world over, it wud be a far better place to live.
His 'One Straw revolution' has influenced thousands around the globe (including yours truly) and his natural farming methods are a folklore for all farmers, where ever they are. He was active till very recently, when he visited India a few years back, has won many awards including from Govt of India!
I always use to wonder how some one in some corner comes out with a grand idea and it spreads all over the world. His is one such amazing achievement, right up there. To start in some small farm in a south japan island and to be celebrated world wide is really mindboggling.
Thanks Fukuoka san! for all that you have contributed to the whole farming world!! RIP!! !

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At August 21, 2008 6:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hello Ananthoo,

    I am not a blogger or internet user, but opened your blog after reading Fukuoka's obituary because I thought it was a reference to me - my name is Ananthu, and I was Fukuoka's host during his first visit to India in 1988! And I now discover that you too, like me, took 'early retirement' at the age of 32 - I have been involved in these 'alternative life style' since 1976, soon after my marriage. First 15 years I was with the Gandhi Peace Foundtion, now since 1991 with 'Navadarshanam'. If you look up the Navadarshanam.org website, you will find details.

    Like you, I too was abroad (4 years in US) before returning to India.

    Which part of India do you live in now?

     
  • At August 24, 2008 8:04 PM, Blogger Ananthoo said…

    pinch pinch!
    Thats Ananthu!! of Navadarshanam!
    hey, Thanks for this 'akasmath' side step in to this blog:-)
    Its a pleasant surprise I can live to tell for some years to come.
    and that intro - the famous Navadarshanam Ananthu had to give can adds to the folk tale.
    Who wudnt know you ananthu, if ever they had some rub in to the organic world?
    thanks for your visit..

    I live in Madras..will visit Navadarshanam soon- a long pending wish for W & me!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home