Ananthoo's updates

When all trees have been cut down, when all animals have been hunted, when all waters are polluted, when all air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money. - Cree Prophecy

Friday, December 04, 2009

Ashvattha farm

It was not a gloomy trip to Ooty inspite of the damages..
Arvind & Gayatri along with Mahesh (a well known bio dynamic farmer/consultant) have leased a 10 acres of land in a picturesque locale near connoor and are practicing organic farming.
So there is hope for some correction to the damages we cause to the nature..
They have planned a good neat organic farm trying to make it economically viable too. That way they want to take up more land, practice natural farming and soon live their reforestation dreams too.
They have a precision like plan for this farm where they will have almost all the hill veggies and medicinal herbs too and plan a neat rotation for consistency and continuity of the veggies to market. They are interested in supplying to organic shops like restore mainly and the rest locally. Local consumption is an insurance they say esp in days of no transport or nature's vengeance. Logical I thought!
Arvind has lotsa ideas. Coming from IT background, backed with some wide travel, reading and big dreams n hopes, they tread very carefully and with precise plans..supported by a very understanding & well informed wife Iam sure they will go a long way. I wish them all luck.
BTW such forays by youngsters is what gives me hope! and motivation too.
See here for some fotos..
Note: Long back when I started planning my ‘retirement’ I thought I would settle in some small farm in a hill station..for I was always put off by the hot clime of Madras..So am glad that Arvind & co are doing what I dreamt..Though he has not fully settled in ooty now, I see that coming..so am really happy for him..

Labels: